Friday, January 31, 2014

I'm drinking a beer right now, and I am over 40.

That statement above is a big part of why even though I originally had dropped a few pounds, I have since gained them back and I am, more or less (okay, maybe less one pound) where I started.

I had that utterly stupefying sheets/blanket/comforter injury two weeks ago. And since then, my knee has mostly healed, but there are days it hurts too much to walk up and down the however many steps there are in my office building. I blame the poor healing on age.

I also blame the general difficultly in losing weight on age. In past attempts, when I was in my 20s and 30s, I could always drop a few pounds in a short period of time, and usually keep it off for a good chunk of time. Now it is nearly impossible to take the weight off. And when I did, well, it found me again.

I am back to larger portions and eating sweets, but not every day as I did before. I just got too bored, sad, whatever, to live that way. And we have had some good beverages around here lately. I used to average about one, maybe two, drinks a week. Now I have a drink about six nights a week. Just one drink, but when that drink is sometimes kahlua and cream, well... And Pittsburgh Popcorn Company is the devil, let me tell you.

And with the stupid frigid weather, who wanted to be outside?

This past week, I did take a lunchtime walk three times and then did the stairs two days. So I have not gone completely soft. But I have gotten lazy with the hand weights and squats. And I have done push-ups only a few times in the past week.

I am not giving up, just lowering my expectations and kind of feeling a little sorry for myself. But, still, I am eating better, I am moving some. So I have to focus on the positive.

1 comment:

  1. I'm convinced it's because of winter. I have the same problems -- I'm too afraid to even wear a pedometer because I'm probably getting less than 1000 steps a day, instead of the recommended 10,000. I predict once the weather warms up, and there's a compelling reason to go outside when not absolutely necessary, we'll both get back on track. Trust me -- I've been over 40 for 10 years!

    ReplyDelete