Thursday, January 5, 2012

Resistance is futile!

I was not my usual exercising self over the past few weeks. I think I swam only three times between the days leading up to Christmas through New Year's Eve. As for running, I had not run at all for almost three weeks, back when I fought with the treadmill. And my last run outside was over a month ago, way back when I was still in my 30s!

But yesterday, not really feeling like swimming lap after lap as I had done on Saturday and Monday, I decided to jog in the pool instead. To save my knees some, I would jog up a lane and then over, and then I would jog backwards three lanes from where I started. When I am in 3', I can actually pump my arms and get some speed going. But when I get into 4' and beyond (I usually turn just before I get to 5'), it feels as if I am going through molasses, not that I have had first-hand experience.

For the last few minutes of my 30 minute "jog," I tried to run as fast as I could, perpendicular to the lanes, while in 3'. I never feel as if I get a great workout when I jog in the pool, mostly, I presume, because I am not doing it that fast. So hopefully with the speed at the end, I challenged myself enough. And I did manage to swim five laps after that, just because it would seem almost pathetic not to get in some laps.

It has been cold the past few days and crazy snowy on Tuesday, so running has been out this week. But maybe, just maybe, I can bring myself to run a couple miles on Friday, when it is supposed to hit the upper 40s. I won't have much of an excuse then.

No comments:

Post a Comment