Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Zumba!

I had slight intentions of running yesterday, but I have been so busy with Christmas shopping and wrapping that I could not get to school early enough to do so. Instead, I decided to take the Zumba class that one of the school parents has been teaching once a week for the past two months. My kid has taken the class three or four times, and I have watched each time, thinking my hips just don't move that way not to mention there is no way I could stay on beat. And clearly the apple does not fall from the tree, although it has been entertaining to watch the kid!

But having now done Zumba, which I am fairly certain was my first group exercise class since three days before I delivered the kid over eight years ago, I can say it was not so bad. Exertion-wise, I kept up with it, which did not surprise me since I am pretty active. I certainly was sweating, though no more than I do when I run. And was out of breath a few times as well, but probably less so than when I run.

I definitely struggled with a few of the moves. The instructor faces us, rather than having us watch her back, which I much prefer. I just can't seem to do that mirror image thing, and as a result, more often than not, I was going in the opposite direction of everyone else. But I kept moving, I definitely was shaking, and I think I will do it again. Fortunately, the class is on hiatus until after the holidays, so perhaps I can practice some hip shaking in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment