Friday, December 2, 2011

Yep, it's December!

Running won out over Zumba yesterday, surprisingly to me.

I "bribed" myself into running by telling myself that I could skip at least half of the first hill. I figured with 40-degree temps (though sunny skies), my lungs would appreciate staying right where they are and not exploding in the frigid (relatively speaking) temps.

I ran in my lined black pants that typically are used from December through March. I also ran with a thick hoodie over top of my Run Around the Square long-sleeved t-shirt. I opted against gloves and a hat, though the hoodie was up. I started off feeling pretty good, if not a tad cold. A little more than halfway into the first mile, however, I was actually warm and wishing I had worn a thinner hoodie. I did not seem to notice the pants. When I hit the top of the hill, I took off my hood, but after a minute or so decided it was probably smarter to keep it on with the cold temps and my sweaty head.

All in all, it was a pretty good run. I finished off the just-under-two mile jaunt with three or four laps around the outside of the gym, which also included a set of stairs. All told, I ran for about 25 minutes, so I probably ended up running about 2.5 miles.

Mile 0.8 (approximately): 9.36
Mile two: 8:30

As an aside, I ran with my mp3 player for the first time in ages. I keep the volume low so I could hear cars coming up behind me (I run on the road, close to the sidewalk, against traffic). The music was a nice change of pace, and I actually found myself speeding up when Depeche Mode's "Just Can't Get Enough" came on. At one point, I was actually doing the air drums!

And on that note, see you soon, 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment