Friday, January 6, 2012

Wardrobe malfunctions

The American Dialect Society defines a wardrobe malfunction as "an unanticipated exposure of bodily parts." My wardrobe malfunction today was fortunately nothing like that, but just a few annoyances while running.

Yes, I am happy to say that I did manage to run today, in sunny, 55-degree weather, a rare treat in January. I opted for a long-sleeved t-shirt and thin hoodie, but was already too hot in the hoodie just a few tenths of a mile into it. Even before I became uncomfortable, my keys fell out of my hoodie pocket, which necessitated my stopping, turning around, picking up said keys, and starting again. I also was contending with my mp3 player, something I rarely use/wear, mostly in the interest of safety (i.e., the fear of not being to hear a car). Today, however, for some reason I could not keep the clip on my hoodie, so I ended up holding it, which was annoying.

When I reached the top of the hill/first mile, I hurriedly took off the hoodie and tied it around my waist, promptly ripping out my earphones from my mp3 player. I also managed to lose my headband in my hoodie for a couple of seconds. For the record, I stopped timing myself during this minor ordeal.

Fortunately, the run back went more smoothly, although I did manage to once again rip out the headphones once I finished the run and started going up and down the gym steps about a half dozen times.

All told, the run was a bit difficult, which is not surprising considering I last ran outside over a month ago. My feet, mostly my left one, hurt a bit during the first mile, but I hardly noticed it/them after that. And my timing was not great. But I completely the two miles, ran up and down the steps about five or six times, as noted above, and even managed to swim eight laps in the pool an hour later. Therefore, I call today a success. Not bad for a 40-year-old gal!

Mile one: 10:30
Mile two: 8:54

No comments:

Post a Comment