Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Finally, a long run

Today I ran 40 minutes! I had scraped the back of my heel pretty badly last evening and was thinking about forgoing anything more strenuous than walking to and from my car, but when I walked for 10 minutes this morning without any problems, I figured I had no excuses. And considering the day was sunny and the temps were decent (about 50), how could I not take advantage?

Since I had extra time, I decided I should see if I was able to run more than my usual two miles. It helped that I started near the top of the killer hill, and I kept my pace slightly slower than normal, since I was going for distance, not time. I kept mostly to my main route, going less than a half a mile past where I normally turn around and adding side streets on the way back.

This time when I ran, I forced myself to really pay attention to my feet, since the new Asics seem to always bother me. I noticed that it was only my left foot that hurt and that was not until about a mile in. The pain was confined to the bottom of my foot, so I am wondering if replacing my insole will help. It does not appear that my shoes are too small, as I wondered, since my smaller (left) foot is the one that hurts.

The foot annoyance aside, it was a pretty good run. I felt good, and I probably could have run even longer. Considering I have been averaging just over a nine-minute mile during my two-mile runs and I skipped the killer hill at the beginning, which adds the extra time to my mile, I had to have run about 4 miles. So yeah, me!

Today, turning 40 in just over one month does not seem so bad. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment