Friday, October 21, 2011

Maybe I need running shoes for the pool?

I was able to get in only about a dozen laps at the pool yesterday, so I went back this morning, not really feeling it. I knew from the get-go there was no way I was going to be doing 40 or 50 laps; I decided to shoot for around 25 or 30. As I have done before, I broke things up a bit.

First I did 13 laps, which took just over 15 minutes. Then I followed it up with 15 minutes of jogging in the pool. When I am jogging in 3', I can get a pretty good pace going, but as soon as I get into 4' and especially 5', it is like running through molasses (not that I have ever done that). I never realized how much I used my arms or at least how important they are when it comes to pool jogging. Considering the water is almost up to the top of my shoulders in 5', my arms are not moving fast with all that water. On top of that, I realized that when I am in the pool, I run on the balls of my feet. I need to look into that to see if this is going to hurt my feet (beyond the irritation I feel).

After I did the 15 minutes of jogging, I swam 17 more laps (technically it was 16.5), and then I jogged for another 10 minutes. I rounded out the workout with about seven or eight minutes of leg and arm exercises.

The slight foot pain aside, it went pretty well. I was also a bit tired, so it took my longer to swim the second 13 laps than it did the first, but what can you do. Keep swimming, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment