Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Running around the track

Today, I finally took advantage of the school taxes I have been paying all these years and ran around the high school track. I had forgotten just how boring running around (and around) an oval can be. Better than the track at the gym (something like 12 or 14 laps for one mile), for sure, but completing 12 revolutions to run three miles is a lot more challenging than I had remembered.

Who would have thought I would miss the hills on my normal run? But I did, because they not only make the run interesting, but they also provide the ebb and flow; just when it gets really tough, you have a downhill to help you out. Despite the high humidity (a recurring theme), because of the absence of hills, I felt as if I was cheating. Or, at the very least, not doing a regular run.

When I had completed my three miles, which also included two 110 yard (or is it meters) sprints, I considered running the bleachers. I was tired, but my thighs were not begging for mercy, a sure sign of a good run (with hills).

In the end, I think it was good to try the track. I am sure my body appreciated the softer surface, and it did provide a change of venue. I am not eager to do it again soon, but I do plan to come back. Who knows? Maybe I will try a barefoot run next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment