Thursday, June 24, 2010

Jumping on a bench

Today marked eight days since I last ran or even really exercised. I can't exactly count doing some sort of tricep dips in our little blow-up pool; and walking around the zoo this weekend, although a bit of a distance, was not really strenuous.

So while I was at the park with my kid, I decided to take advantage of the benches there by stepping up on that wooden thing many times. For each set, I stepped up/on the bench 40 times (20 times per each leg getting a turn to "lead"). My ballpark estimate is that I did this at least a dozen times and as many as 20. I would take a break in between each set, for as little as two minutes and as much as 10 or more (there was an minor accident which I was mildly interested in). But I did do this over an hour to an hour and a half period.

I was disappointed that my legs did not shake the way they did when I ran the 65 steps at my kid's school, and I could not go as fast as I did then either, but the bench was quite a bit higher than regular steps and my heart rate was definitely up each time I did a set.

When I was done, I wanted to run around the park, but I really was not dressed for it. Plus, it was odd enough to do what I was doing in front of several families. At least I was setting a good example by exercising, and I was able to keep an eye on my kid the entire time.

But I miss running...

No comments:

Post a Comment