Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I love a Monday run

Since I have pretty much decided I will be running only two days per week and not on consecutive days, I always try to run on Mondays. That way I have three other days during the week to get my second run in. I wish I knew if my various pains from last fall were caused by my running on consecutive days or by my running three days in one week. I am too wimpy, at least in winter, to add a third, non-consecutive day to test the theory. I don't want to mess up my groove.

I am happy to report that I ran twice last week, although my second run was for only a mile. I figure one mile is better than 0 miles! Yesterday I got a late start, so I managed about a mile and a half, maybe a little more. As pretty much always, I struggled up the hill, wondering how I would ever make it. It was made worse by knowing a guy I see and say hi to during my runs was right behind me. I could not run slowly and risk his thinking I was out of shape or something, so I was really huffing (as inconspicuously as possible, of course).

The temps were great, just above freezing, and no snow was falling. I did have to work to avoid puddles on the road; could not take the chance there was ice underneath. The only real downside of the run was avoiding getting run over by cars. Unfortunately, the road has not been completely cleared; each side is missing about a foot or more of road due to the snow. I notice drivers glaring at me as I run in the road. I would love to tell them to yell at the people who live on the street who have not shoveled the sidewalks in front of their houses. It would be dangerous and counterproductive for me to keep going back and forth between semi-cleared sidewalks and the road.

Ah, winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment