Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The tale of two miles

On Monday, I finally managed to successfully time each mile of my two-mile run.

Mile one: 10:24
Mile two: 8:36

I consider that a pretty stark contrast, though I am not too surprised considering the first mile has the killer hill at the beginning and then another, longer, though not as steep, hill at the end. I also pushed myself harder on the way back/down, just knowing it took me over 10 minutes to run the first mile.

Based on my 19-minute run, I feel as if I should be able to run a 5k in the next few months, and I may even be able to do it in about 30 minutes. However, because I have run three miles only a couple of time since I started running again this past fall, and I doubt I will run three miles too many times before I actually run a 5k, I will be satisfied finishing a 5k in about 32 or 33 minutes.

Of course, once I get closer to an actual race, I may change my goal. The type of course, naturally, will also affect my time. And this also assumes I don't throw in the towel. I have kept up with running for six months, but I can be fickle about this sort of thing.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment