Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Stinkin' knee

Maybe the asphalt is catching up to me. My right knee has been hurting quite a bit the last week or so, mostly just when I walk up steps.

For almost two years, back at the beginning of this century, I worked out a lot. Most days, I spent about two hours in the gym between cardio and weight-lifting. I was in great shape. I had low body fat. But my knees started to hurt at some point. Back in August of 2001, I finally made an appointment to see a physical therapist. My first appointment was scheduled a day or two after 9/11. I never went.

Eventually the pain mostly went away. I am sure it helped that I stopped running in 2002, other than that brief period in 2006, which was spent mostly on a treadmill. However, I do recall my knee starting to really bother me late last winter. I remember walking up the 44 steps to the office and deciding that I was going to have to take the stairs. I was laid off that week, so that dilemma was solved!

I really don't want to give up running. I do it only twice a week and for not much more than two miles. But I also don't want to ruin my knee.

I am going to try to tough it out for at least another month or two, so I can get a 5k in.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment