Saturday, May 30, 2015

Sometimes I feel too old to do this.

I ran this morning, after a five-day layoff. Unfortunately, today's run was preceded by 2.5 beers at lunch yesterday, which was followed by a margarita on the rocks and a beer during happy hour/dinner. I drank plenty of water yesterday, but somehow I don't think it was enough. I really felt as if I was struggling today.

I decided to take Bailey with me again. She made it most of the way into the first half of the run before needing to squat and leave the remains of yesterday's dinner, so I carried the lovely bag, and we continued on (I stopped my timer for this). I ended up doing both halves in just over 6 minutes, so my timing was good, even if I did not feel great.

I dropped her off at home, once we had done the full, approximately 1.2 miles. I did the same run again without her, and the second time was worse. I ran the first half in 6:36 (I did walk for about 10 or 15 seconds up the killer hill), and then, surprisingly, it took me 6:51 on the way back. I think the heat/humidity was getting to me. However, I ran for another 8:30, just so I could get in 3 miles.

I passed some guy on my way back, who appeared to be in his 60s. He might have even been in his 70s. I really wanted to ask him how he does it. He might have been running slowly, but he was doing it. Some days, like today, I just feel old. Not 60 or 70 old, but not as if I am in my mid to late 30s, since that is how I think of my 43-year-old self most of the time. :-)

We have a beach trip coming up in less than a month now, so I want to keep this up. As with last weekend, I walked Bailey again in the evening, so I am definitely getting enough exercise. But now I need to work on not eating every couple of hours.

Here's to next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment