Saturday, April 28, 2012

I am getting out of swimming shape

For months I was swimming pretty regularly, typically three times per week, and every once in awhile I got in a fourth day. Then March came and the weather turned nice (actually, we had quite a few nice February days as well), so the indoor poor fell by the wayside. And when I started working about six weeks ago, the pool was almost forgotten. This week, however, thanks to bad weather and good timing, I managed to hit the water on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Because I did not have a lot of time and I was out of swimming shape, I managed to swim no more than 15 laps earlier this week. In fact, one day I think I completed only 12. But today, I was alone, the pool was empty, which is rare for a Saturday, so I got in a pretty full workout. I swam 20 laps, jogged in the pool for 10 minutes, swam 10 more laps, jogged in the pool for another 10 minutes, and finished with about six or eight minutes of leg and arm exercises.

It was a tough swim week for me; I can no longer swim 10 laps at a good pace and feel just fine. But the sort-of-good-news is because I have been exercising less in general over the past six weeks because I have been working, I don't feel obligated to push myself like crazy. I would have been happy to have gotten in 20 laps today, particularly considering how full I felt from lunch hours earlier. But since I had the time, I did what I could. And that meant going slower than I used to. But I was fine with that.

And even if I get in only a day next week, I think I will be okay with that too.

After all, anything is better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment