Monday, August 15, 2011

I made it through the pain

For only the second time all summer, I ran just over 3 miles. I ran the same 3.1-mile route I did a month and a half ago, in Indiana County. This time, however, my time was just under 32 minutes; when I ran on 7/1, I did it in just over 30 minutes.

On the one hand, considering I have run so little the past four months, I should be happy running a 10-minute mile. But on the other, much more competitive, hard-on-myself hand, I am disappointed. Since May, I have been swimming three days a week, except for one, maybe two, weeks. Because of that, I feel as if it should not be a struggle to run three miles.

Today's run included some discomfort in my right foot (either my feet have grown or Asics has made this Enduro size 9.5 slightly smaller than last version's 9.5), some chest pain (hopefully not my ticker!), and a little thigh annoyance. Fortunately, no pain was consistent the whole time, and nothing was too strong.

In the end, I could have run more, but I pushed myself the last few tenths of a mile when I realized I could complete this run in just over 30 minutes. Since my heart rate was over 170 bpm, I decided to walk around for a few minutes and call it a day.

I am pretty sure I will not be Running Around the Square in two weeks, but I would like to get a 5k in at some point, whether I run the Steelers 5k Labor Day weekend or Race for Pace in October. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment