Sunday, August 7, 2011

50 laps

No, I did not run 50 laps; more on that later. Instead, for the first time ever, I swam 50 consecutive laps at the pool. Well, technically, I stopped after each of the first three as I was having difficulties with my goggles. But after the eyepieces finally starting suctioning themselves to my face, I was in business.

Not surprisingly, I swam at a moderate pace, probably closer to slow than fast. Originally, my goal was to do 35 laps, the most I had previously completed, so I knew I could not swim quickly if I expected to achieve that. But once I finished around 30 and felt fine, I decided I should at least go for over 40. And once I neared that milestone, I decided it was 50 or bust.

During my last few laps, I probably could have been mistaken for a 70-year-old woman; I was swimming awfully slowly. And I considered asking the only other person in the pool to keep an eye on me in case I started to sink. But for my final lap, I managed to do my nemesis stroke--the butterfly. The butterfly as an insect seems light, airy, and graceful. I, swimming the butterfly stroke, look cumbersome, splash way too much, and breath like a panting dog.

No matter. I did my 50 laps. Yeah, me!

As for my not running, I am blaming it on the shoes. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment