Thursday, August 11, 2011

Blame it on the shoes

In April of 2010, I bought Asics Gel Enduro 5 shoes, and was fairly impressed from the get-go. But, like all running shoes, eventually they lost their luster (i.e., they felt too worn out), so I went in search of new shoes.

Like the (mostly) eternal optimist I am, I figured I could head back to Kohl's and get those same running shoes.

I figured wrong.

But, again, being positive, I decided that the Gel Enduro 6 was probably just as good if not better, so I tried it on.

Wrong again.

Nevertheless, knowing that Kohl's has a great return policy, I went ahead and bought the shoes, once a again for such a good price (around $35).

Still not sold on the shoes, I left them in the box for a few weeks, figuring not running for a few weeks when I was swimming so much would not hurt. Then, when I really started to miss running, I went to a few sporting goods stores to see if my beloved 5s happened to be there. No dice.

While visiting Steelers training camp this past Monday, I shared my sad shoe story with Grandma. A woman sitting next to me overheard our conversation and suggested I try holabirdsports.com, which I promptly did as soon as I got home. No 5s there either.

I tried an internet search last evening, and the few 5s I found were not in my size and for prices at least twice what I paid for originally anyway. Sigh.

I guess I am going to have to give up my dream of the Enduro 5. Still not sure if I will keep the 6s or continue to shop around for another shoe. But I need to decide soon before my legs forget what running feels like (they certainly know what swimming lap after laps feels like).

The moral of the story? If you find a shoe you like, buy an extra pair. Wish I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment