Thursday, February 3, 2011

Back on the road again

I finally ran outside again yesterday, running my "usual" route. Even more important is that I ran at all, as it had been over 40 days since I had last done so (not counting jogging in the water one day last month).

The temps were about 29 degrees, and it was windy; in fact, several times during the run, snow flurries were blowing in my face. Probably not the best day to get back in the saddle, but after about 70 days since my last outdoor run, I figured if I was motivated, I should just go with it.

Before I took my first stride, I had pretty much decided to run about 10 to 15 minutes/to at least get one mile in, God willing. But after I ran up the killer hill, and it actually was not that bad, I figured I might as well run to the last uphill near the end of my first mile. I had about 25 minutes to run, so I reasoned that if it took 10 minutes to get to that point (it takes me around 7 or 8 minutes when I am in good running shape), I should have time to spare. When I reached the bottom of the hill, I saw that I had been running for about 8:30 or so, so I decided to throw caution to the wind (and fight the wind, in general!) and do the whole mile, which meant I would be doing the second mile back.

All in all, it was not that bad. I was cold; the thin shirt underneath a thick hoodie left me a little chilly during the first mile, but I was feeling okay during the second/last mile. I kept my hands in my sleeves the whole time, so I was not missing gloves too much.

My stats?
First mile completed in 10:23
Second mile completed in 8:37

Obviously this is nowhere close to my best time, but is pretty much where it was before I really started pushing myself and becoming what I consider "good." Taking the weather and the layoff from running into account, I am quite pleased. I had been concerned that when I finally ran outside again, I would only be able to complete one mile and that it would take me something like 12 minutes. But that did not happen, and I felt pretty good the whole time, which leads me to believe that swimming has done its job of keeping me in shape. I also have to consider that on Sunday, I swam 22 laps, and on Tuesday, I swam about 18 laps, so I definitely have worked my body out this week.

I am taking the day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment