Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Running around an indoor track

Over the weekend, I took my daughter to a birthday party at the Oxford Athletic Club in Wexford. While she was playing games, I ran around the track. At the club, 10 laps equal one mile, versus only 4 laps on the local outdoor track; yet I actually found this run to be less boring than on the outdoor track. Being around others has always been a good motivator for me; I don't want people to think I am slow or out of shape, so I am sure that helped keep me going. Running in the AC certainly did not hurt!

A big downside of a short track, at least for me, is I have trouble keeping track of how many laps I have run. I am pretty sure I ran only 8, not 10, when I thought I had completed my first mile. I just don't see how I could have run a mile in just over six minutes, even though I was running at a pretty decent pace, obviously without any hills. But when I correctly counted laps later, the about eight minutes seemed much more accurate, if not disappointing.

I ended up running about three miles (maybe two laps shy). I threw in a fast lap a couple of times as well as a few slower ones for good measure. It was a nice change of pace, and, more importantly, it was good to get another run in just over a week after my last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment