Thursday, August 19, 2010

Slightly better run

Knowing that the Run Around the Square is just nine days away meant I had to get out and run again this week. This morning I ran the same route I did on Sunday, and fortunately it went a little better. I finished the around 2.7 jaunt in just under 27 minutes, shaving over a minute off my time from four days ago. As I was coming up the last hill, I looked at the stopwatch on my phone and saw that I was almost at 26 minutes, so that gave me the motivation to push myself. I just hope I can find that same drive next weekend.

I also wish I remembered the course for the Run Around the Square. According the race packet, the first 1/2 mile is through Regent Square's streets, which are pretty flat, and the second 2 1/2 miles are through Frick Park's cross-country trails. Honestly, the only trail part I remember from 2002 was when someone handed out shots of beer or champagne (people along the Great Race also hand out one or both of those beverages). I thought that was so cool, so I grabbed one. Not sure if I will be so eager this time, eight years older and all...

Regardless, it might be a good idea to run on some type of trail before the race. Not sure where; I just don't know Frick Park that well to feel comfortable enough to run around there alone. The few times I have walked there with my kid, we do so for no more than 15 minutes one way; I am always afraid the trail will end up being five miles long, and she will get tired.

Hopefully, I will feel motivated enough to run Saturday morning. I want to get in two more runs before the race; three would be ideal for me, but probably not realistic.

Almost there.

No comments:

Post a Comment