Thursday, May 20, 2010

Finally a long run

Last week, I managed only one (three-mile) run, plus about 10 minutes of running steps. Not a good week when you consider I spent most of the ensuing weekend eating, thanks to one aunt in town visiting and the birthday weekend of another aunt.

Yesterday, having an hour to kill, I decided to try a long run. I managed to go for about 40 minutes. I am pretty sure I could have run another 10 minutes, but since I ended my run by going up a hill (which is how I normally start), I decided to call it a good run at that. On top of my usual route, this run mostly consisted of running up and down side streets. I ended up running backwards down a couple of streets, which is something I had not done since I was 30. Fortunately, eight years later, I was still able to do this without taking a tumble, and my knees were grateful for the break. My calfs were probably not as happy for the workout, but I needed it.

While on Facebook a few weeks ago, I was debating whether or not to run. A friend suggested I run three miles and see how it feels, and if that worked out, she said to keep going. I had to tell her that three miles is a good run for me; a test run is more like five minutes. But after yesterday's run, which, admittedly, was kind of slow thanks to all the hills, I'd like to think I can push myself into longer runs.

I will never do a marathon or even a half-marathon, but I am determined to keep going, keep improving, and just to try to be in the best possible shape I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment