Saturday, April 17, 2010

Finally hit three miles

Or at least I came close, anyway.

I had a lot of time to kill yesterday, and time is often my biggest enemy when it comes to running. I tend to have about 30 minutes or so to get my run in, including a couple of minutes of walking (cooling down) and stretching, so I usually have to settle for about two miles. Yesterday I had about 1.5 hours, so I figured I should try for three miles.

I skipped most of the big hill at the beginning, but I pretty much made up for it by running up and down four other, smaller side streets. I passed some guy on the way up and back, a guy who "looked" like a runner. He had the shiny running shorts and matching shirt (or maybe it was a body suit). His form, like most runners, was better than mine. But I was just happy I was able to keep going, to run as long as I did. After I cooled down and stretched for a few minutes, I also took a brisk walk to a coffee shop, for another 15 minutes.

Last week I tweaked my knee. I was walking in the woods and my foot hit a tree root kind of funny. The pain was intense, though it fortunately subsided after a few minutes. However, I was very uncomfortable sleeping that night. I did not run the next four days, just to be safe. I was really worried that I might have to give up running and my goal of a 5k this year, but assuming I can keep going and keep my pain to a minimum, I am still hoping to run that 5k at some point.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment