Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Layers. It's about layers.

When I was hanging out at my favorite local coffee joint a few weeks ago, the owner was talking about his friend who wears layers when he runs in cold weather and then peels them off as he gets warm. I have enough trouble running with my keys, my cell phone, and now my mp3 player. How in world can I remove and somehow carry clothes when I get warm?!

Yesterday, I had my first run as a 38 year old. I am happy to say I ached less than I usually do, but I was so cold to start my run, I might as well have been in pain. It was in the upper 30s, and I ran wearing my lined workout pants and a long-sleeve shirt and thin hoodie. I kept my hands in my sleeves, and my hood up. My upper body, save for my head and hands, was too cold. But by the time I reached my halfway point (at almost a mile), my body warmed up just fine.

I ran in the Great Race or the Race for the Cure one year when the starting temps were probably in the lower 40s. I recall one guy discarding his long-sleeve shirt by the time the race started, and I wondered if he came back for it later, or if it was something he left, never to see again. I can't imagine doing either. But at least he did not have to worry about lugging extra attire.

If I am going to keep running in the cold (and for western PA, that is pretty much the next four months), I need to figure out how to dress better. Eliminating a few keys and/or my cell phone probably would not hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment