Friday, December 4, 2009

The last run of 37

I managed to get in two runs this week, better than last week's one and done. Glad I ran today, my last run as a 37-year old. My birthday is tomorrow, and my husband gifted me with an mp3 player, as I continue my occasional foray into the 21st century.

I have not run with music since 2006 (the last time I ran). So far, even though it is a sport mp3 player (some Philips thing), I am having some trouble keeping the ear buds in my ears. But, more importantly, I don't have the right music. And that is key.

In college, when I ran down Curtain (or was it Bigler) Avenue, I started my run with Janet Jackson's "Escapade" and ended with her "Love Will Never Do Without You." In between there was "Rhythm Nation" and "Black Cat" and that was pretty much my run. The times I ran in the IM building, I was more into Nine Inch Nails and Ministry (different year). Honestly, when I ran in the early part of this century, I don't think I had any go-to music.

But I want and need some! The NIN, Depeche Mode, and Arrested Developed songs I managed to get on my mp3 player (not without struggle) are just not cutting it. I think if I can get the right tunes, I might be able to get to an under 10-minute mile consistently. For the record, I did my just over two miles in about 21 minutes today. I am happy with that, considering this is the first time I ran in sub-40 degree weather since late 2001 or early 2002.

If my 38-year old body holds up, I think I am going to try to keep up with the running, at least once a week. Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment