Sunday, April 26, 2015

Maybe I will start running again.

We adopted Bailey, our crazy, bundle-of-energy, rat-bull terrier, 4.5 months ago. Fortunately, she has calmed down some since then. But walks are a different story. This dog wants to move during a walk. Sure, she stops to sniff and relieve herself once in awhile, but even those things are quick.

In the winter months, I started to run up and down my street with her. I did this a few times and never for more than a minute or two at a time because the cold and my being in not-great shape would not allow much more. But after awhile, and particularly when it was snowy or icy, I went back to just walking with her. 

Now that spring is (sort of) here, and because this dog does not know the meaning of a leisurely walk, I have started to run/jog with her again.

Two nights ago, during our (typically) 20- to 25-minute walk, I tried jogging for 3 or 4 minutes. Then I walked. And then I jogged another 3 or 4 minutes. Unfortunately, I did not stretch when I was done; I guess my brain was not "counting" that as a run. But other than slightly sore legs yesterday morning, I was fine. 

Yesterday early evening, I managed to jog/run for 5 and then for 6 more minutes, with not even 2 minutes in between. This even included two hills. I actually felt pretty good, and Bailey was panting, though I have no doubt she could have kept going. 

The problem with this potential plan is that I don't want to do this every day; even when I was a "runner," I kept it to three days a week. And during those five months I trained for the Race for Pace, I ran only once a week. Since I walked most days, and usually briskly, that was enough. Now I typically walk four and sometimes five days a week at work, plus six and sometimes seven more times with Bailey. I think my legs, especially, my knees might rebel! 

And the other downside is what happened when I started those brief jogs in the winter: Bailey expects to run, and she starts off full speed. It took me awhile to get it in her head we were just walking (which, with her, is really clipping).

I guess I will just have to see how it all plays out. But in the meantime, if anyone in the Burgh wants a running buddy, I have a dog you can borrow any time!

No comments:

Post a Comment