Thursday, September 22, 2011

At least it was the OTHER side of my chest that hurt

I ran steps on Tuesday, as I just blogged about. That was due mostly to weather, but partly to just how darn hard running has become for me lately. Since my stepping on Tuesday was pretty challenging, I figured I might as well just go for broke and get out there and run today.

So I did.

And, much like my 20 trips up and down the steps, this run was no walk in the park. As I struggled up the first killer hill (which, to be fair, I probably do 98 percent of the time), my thoughts alternated between a disappointing, "Am I just too old for this" and a sad/angry, "But some people in their 50s and 60s run almost every day."

I will be 40 in two and a half months. I really wanted to leap into 40 and be able to say that I was in great shape. That age was irrelevant. That I could run circle around people half my age. But lately those thoughts are fading. Sigh.

Anyway, I got through the run with the typical shoe annoyance. (I really think I am going to have to give up on these stupid Asics.) I felt chest pains, fortunately on the side opposite my heart for no more than a couple minutes. My side stitches lasted probably for about five to seven minutes, so, hey, not even a mile. I did not drop over, despite my labored breathing. And, to be fair, the temps had to be near 80, and it was fairly humid.

Mile one: 10:29
Mile two: 8:50

Sure, I wonder if my first mile will ever get below 10 minutes. Or, for that matter, will it ever get close to 10 minutes! But I am still standing, so let's just go with calling it a successful run. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment