Saturday, May 14, 2011

Might as well get used to this humidity now [hurl]

Yesterday the humidity was about 90 percent, temps were in the low 80s, and the sky was mostly sunny. I figured running steps was a more sensible choice because if I became too hot/uncomfortable halfway through my run, I would still have to make it back. If I ran steps, I could stop as soon as it became too much, and then walk the short distance to my car.

Compared to my running steps over a month ago, this time was pretty hard, because of that darned heat/humidity. I originally decided to run up and down 10 times, but by taking a 20- to 30-second water break after every five sets, I was able to run up and down 20 times. I was surprised I completed that workout in just over 18 minutes (not counting the breaks); compared to last time, it seemed as if I was running so much more slowly.

Had I not caught my breath and hydrated those few times, I am sure I would have stopped after 15 trips, maybe fewer. At one point, I actually felt a little sick. This is where a smart person would have stopped, but I just kept going, convinced that if I slowed down a bit and drank some water, I would be okay. I also reasoned that it is the middle of May, and it is only going to get hotter and more humid, so if I could not handle it now, how could I exercise this summer?

Fortunately, I did not get sick, and the feeling subsided about 10 minutes after I finished. I ended up going swimming an hour later. I took it easy, doing only about six to eight not-fast laps, but trying to keep moving for most of the hour of the pool (I swam 25 laps on Wednesday, FYI). I am definitely going to take it easy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment