Friday, February 5, 2010

That ice cream had nothing on me!

Yesterday, I helped serve ice cream (well, more specifically, I spooned sprinkles) at my kid's school. At one point, I helped myself to some of the soft-serve, complete with hot fudge, sprinkles, and whipped cream. And about 40 minutes later I went running.

I used the stop-watch feature on my cell phone, only to accidentally touch a place on the touch-screen phone that I should not have. And, alas, the time on the stop watch went away. But I tried again on the way back, and my second mile clocked in at 8:36. I am pleased with that, though I was running pretty hard (for me) down the hill at the end, doing my best to complete my mile in under nine minutes. For a brief time, I actually thought I was going to do it in under eight minutes, but decided if I pushed myself that hard, I would fall down the hill.

This (more or less) sprint made me think of the time I ran in the Montour Trail 5k (it used to be called the Ikea 5k, FYI). The first mile has a huge downhill at the beginning, and because of that, my first mile came in at 6-something. In fact, I think I had my best-ever time in that race back in 2002, with an impressive (to me) 23:53.

I still want to increase my mileage, but I am happy to end this week's runs with an improved time.

No comments:

Post a Comment