Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Running in a winter wonderland

Today I did what I was not sure I would or could do--I ran in the snow. The temps were better than previous days (around 27 or 28 degrees), and the roads seemed fairly clear, so I decided to brave the lightly falling snow and just go for it.

Overall, it went well. There were a couple of slick spots on the road, but thankfully nothing did me in. I had, for once, the right amount of clothes on--a long-sleeved t-shirt, a thin sweatshirt, a running jacket and a windbreaker, plus some gloves. Once I tied my scarf around my head (which was quite a sight, I am sure), I felt fine.

I did not run my usual just over 2-mile jaunt. I am guessing I instead ran just over 1.5 miles. But that seemed enough considering I last ran almost three weeks ago. Fortunately, no aches or pains, so I call it a success. I cannot say, however, when I will try a snowy run again. I am just not the most coordinated person, so I can see me taking a tumble at some point. But I will at least continue to walk in the snow a few days a week, as I did for 20 minutes this morning as well as yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment