Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sometimes I feel as if I am 29

Since I starting running again, I really feel younger. Granted, I have some aches and pains, but just knowing that I can run almost three miles without stopping as well as sprint some dashes make me feel, well, not old. Not that almost 38 is old, mind you. In fact, I once read that you hit your running peak in your mid 30s, so I am just a little beyond that.

When I subbed for gym class last month, I ran laps with the kids. Quite frankly (and sadly), I am faster and have more endurance than some of them (who range in age from 6 to 13). A few weeks later when I next subbed, I did some stretching and strength exercises with the kids. I did "six inches" (lying on your back with straight legs raised about six inches off the ground and holding it as long as you can). I am guessing I have done sit ups about two times this year, but I was determined to do that with the kids. I was able to withstand all of them. I did everything they did and more than some of them. I felt youthful. One girl even asked me how I did one of the stretches that involved lying on the ground with your knees bent behind you. Had not done that one in years, yet fortunately could still do it.

But unfortunately, I am not 29, so I was pretty sore for almost four days after. No pain, no gain, I guess. (I still have no plans to do sit ups anytime soon.)

Regardless, (and in a nod to Sara) because I am not 29 and I would like my joints to make it until 89, I will try to take it easy and listen to my body more.

No comments:

Post a Comment