Sunday, November 15, 2009

Indoors versus outdoors

I would have to do some research on this, but my guess is most runners prefer to run outdoors. For me, running outside offers more to look at and makes the time pass more quickly.

For about four years, most of my runs were at the gym. For two of those years (in the early part of this century), I was at the gym most days anyway lifting weights, so it made sense to do my running there as well. The downside was it took about 16 laps for one mile. I would try to run about three miles, so at times it seemed never-ended. And sometimes, I lost count. The gym also frowned upon sprinting, but I did that (well, fartleks) during most runs.

Running on a treadmill is even more boring, but at least you can keep track of your mileage and have the machine change speeds for you. When I was training for a 5k in 2006 (my one and only that year), I did so on the treadmill. My goal for that 5k, since it had been four years since my last one, and almost as long since I had run regularly, was to complete it in under 30 minutes. To do so, I ran on the treadmill one or two days a week for six weeks, for a couple of miles at a time. I included some sprints on the treadmill as well. I probably ran three miles on the treadmill only once during those weeks. Since I stayed pretty active, I was hopeful that would be enough training. Plus, I figured at 34, I was at my peak running age. More on that race later.

Currently, I am running through some hilly streets in a Pittsburgh community (I realize hilly describes just about every neighborhood in the Burgh). I try to run about two miles, up to three days a week, but unfortunately I have managed only one or two days per week the last few weeks. Running up and down streets is definitely more enjoyable than running around the track or on a treadmill. But running on asphalt is tough on your body. Already my knees and legs have hurt on some days. But I am also almost 38...

No comments:

Post a Comment