Thursday, December 23, 2010

The second verse is ALMOST the same as the first

Yesterday, I attempted another run on the treadmill. I loathe to admit this, but I am a little gun-shy about running outside with the snow, a little ice, and the cold temps (which have been around or close to 30 degrees, a temperature I had no problem with last winter). As I mentioned in previous posts, I have been swimming, which is a really good workout, so I am not so worried about staying in shape. But I am a little afraid that when I finally get back out there, I may end up struggling to complete two miles (maybe even one) and/or I will run at a pace well over 10 minutes.

But back to my treadmill run. I ran the first mile in just under 10 minutes, going at about a 6 mph pace. For the second mile, I would alternate between fast runs (anywhere between 6.3 mph and 7.5 mph, hitting above that once or twice) and a slower pace of 5 mph. Then I completed the last half mile at a pace of about 5 mph for the first three to five minutes minutes before walking the final few minutes at about 3 to 3.5 mph.

I felt as if this run went better than the previous treadmill attempts. I was never in doubt that I would run two miles, which is something I can't say about my prior times. However, I still found myself bored and wishing I were outside, where I would have trees, cars, people, houses, the road, etc. to look at. The 4 o'clock news on the TV is just not the same..

Hopefully, after Christmas I can get back on the horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment